Looking for a challenge from both your nerves and your endurance? Than the Big Bastard is for you. This tour is adventure at it’s finest! This tour is named after a nearly 20meter (60 foot) jump that we affectionately named “The Big Bastard.” The Big Bastard can also be done from a lower 15meter (49 foot) jump or an adrenaline dripping vertical rappel.
This full day tour is a combination of both the Magic Mushroom and the Big Bastard himself. Your adventure will begin when we pick you up at your accommodation and travel for 45 minutes through the “Cordillera Septentrional.” These are the spectacular mountains that run the length of the North Coast of the Dominican Republic from near the Haitian border to the Samana Peninsula.
Once we reach our base camp, you will be suited for a wetsuit, harness, rappelling gear, and helmet. After a safety briefing you will get back in the transportation and driven to the entrance of the canyon.
The first two to three hours of the tour is the same half-day Magic Mushroom tour. After some great scrambling through jaw dropping scenery, plunging in the spring fed river, two awesome rappels, and some great practice jumps you will come to the Big Bastard. As stated before it can either jumped from 20meters, 15meters, or a vertical rappel. Each one is equally as adrenaline inducing! After passing through Big Bastard falls, there are more opportunities for some nice jumps.
After some scrambling and bouldering through any area very few have ventured you reach the exit for a 45minute hike out of the canyon and surrounding jungle. Upon reaching “civilization” you will find your transportation waiting for you to take you back to base camp for locally prepared Dominican lunch (Rice, Beans, Chicken, Stewed Veggies, and Fried Plantains)
This tour is quite advanced and we do not recommend it for youths under 14 years of age. The Big Bastard requires lots of swimming and physical endurance we strongly recommend it for those that have an adequate level of fitness.
This canyon has a ACA rating of (3C3RIII) and a FFME rating of (V3A4III✯✯✯)
The Big Bastard Canyoning Tour Includes:
- Transport from your accommodation (Cabarete area, see below for other locations)
- Professional trained guides
- All necessary equipment
- A filling Dominican style lunch
What to bring:
- Clothing that fits under a wetsuit (the tighter the better)
- Closed toed, sturdy shoes like old sneakers, trail runners, or water sandals (the more traction and sole the better)
This total for this tour is $145USD per person (group rates may apply).
For those that think they can handle it we offer an Ultimate Tour which includes all three sections of the canyon, The Magic Mushroom, The Big Bastard, and Ciguapa. Please feel free contact us with any question you might have.
This excursion includes transport to and from Cabarete. If you are staying outside Cabarete there is an extra transport fee, see below:
- Cabarete Hotels: Transport included
- Kite Beach Hotels: Transport included
- Encuentro Hotels: Transport included
- Perla Marina: $20.00 for up to 4 people
- Sosua Hotels: $30.00 for up to 4 people
- Playa Dorada & Costa Dorada Hotels: $80.00 for up to 4 people
- Cofresi Hotels: $85.00.00 for up to 4 people
- Riu Hotels: $90.00 for up to 4 people
- Rio San Juan Hotels: $100.00 for up to 4 people